Thursday, November 12, 2015

How to Flatten a Watercolor Painting

Good Morning!
Today I wanted to share how to flatten a watercolor painting.  I just finished up this fall inspired portrait and before I package her up I took a few photos of my process.  It's pretty straight forward and easy to do!


I first saw artist Joe Cartwright do this technique on his YouTube video.  I just switched up my process and used things I had on hand.  

I took a short break from my art journal to complete this gouache and watercolor painting.  Each afternoon I set aside an hour or so to work on her.  Watercolor forces you to be patient and wait for each layer to dry.  Since I normally paint in acrylic I tried my best not to overwork the paint.  I have another one planned before all the leaves are gone.  


Tip: Make sure the watercolor paper and books are the same size of the painting so you don't create unwanted creases.

The original painting is no longer available but I will have prints just in time for the holidays.  If you would like notifications of when prints are in the shop please sign up for my newsletter!





Do you know if any other tricks for flattening watercolor paper?  Let us know down in the comments.
Thanks for visiting! Sharing with Paint Party FridayArt It Friday

7 comments :

  1. She is so lovely Danielle, and thanks for sharing your tips on flattening the paper! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful and thanks for the great tip!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow,she is beautiful,so amazing liht eyes and soft lips,love her so much.

    hugs jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow she is stunning. Thanks for the tip too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is absolutely glorious! Love that hair... and great tips on flattening the paper.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete